Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Give Beets a Chance


I know, I've been a bit lax where blogging is concerned. Between getting ready for the big parade, trying to whip up some clothing to sell at Lucinda's, and the every day hustle and bustle--that phrase make me giggle--I haven't had time to do more than a few quick posts.

So I'm going to take a break and blog...

About beets.

I touched briefly on my love of beets not too long ago, and thought I'd expand here.

Some people think they're gross, which I simply cannot fathom because they are heavenly to me!!! I hadn't had any for months, so I recently bought a jar of pickled beets (pickled is my favorite way to have them), and it was like...it was like...well...words escape me. But it was pretty awesome.

Store-bought beets are great, but as with everything else, homegrown are the BEST. So how do you grow beets?

In Kansas, beets should be planted at the end of March or in April for a June or July harvest (they take about 55 to 60 days), or you can plant them in July or August to be harvested in September/October. The seeds are planted in rows, with each seed 4" apart.

(Of course, some of this information may vary depending on your climate and seed variety. It's always a good idea to check your seed packet for the most accurate info.)

And, if you don't want to grow them yourself, take a trip to the farmer's market! KS Farmers' Market is a great resource for Kansans; you can use it to search for farmers' markets near you.

But how to pickle? Well...sadly enough...I don't remember which recipe we liked the best. (Very informative of me, I know!)


However, I can give you a few pointers for pickled beets that can be stored in the refrigerator for a week (not canned):
  1. Scrub your beets well, and cut off the tops. But don't cut off the entire top!! Leave about 1" to 2" of the stem/leaves, or they'll bleed like crazy.
  2. Boil for 50 to 60 minutes.
  3. After they're cooked, you can cut off the rest of the tops, slip their skin off, and slice them. Once you're through with this, put them in whatever container you'll be storing them in. We use a glass bowl.
  4. Here is the part that I forget: the recipe for the juice. Water, vinegar, sugar, and pickling spices are all you'll need for this. The amounts of each ingredient can be varied, depending on how sweet, spicy, or bland you like your beets. This concoction is simmered for 15 minutes before it's poured over the sliced beets. After this, just put it in the fridge!

When I find that recipe again, I will be sure to post it.

If you haven't already, give them a try!!

3 comments:

  1. I love beets! I steam & puree them. I can put them in my kids pancakes and they will think I made special purple pancakes. Heehe they have no idea how sneaky I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beets too! I know it sounds strange, but last year I added a little bit of beet to the filling of my apple pie, and it came out pink and even more delicious.

    ReplyDelete